Sunday, December 7, 2008

PIRU Time Trial




5 a.m. wake up alarm to get ready for Piru Time Trial today...really hard to motivate..it was cold, chance of rain, but I needed to do this so after a pancake, banana and some coffee I headed out.

Warm up was short and I was really trying to talk myself into not doing it...but I had put the aerobars on and was determined to give it a try, hopefully without crashing.

All in all it ended up good; I started early with a push off at 9:09. First mistake right out the gate--being in too big a gear, so I got out of the saddle and pushed out, then settled in a bit down the road, but my HR climbed pretty good.

I knew I had to get it back if I was going to keep enough gas in tank for the end, so I just remembered what the plan was..spin like a bee for 20 minutes. I hit the turn around mark at exactly 19:57...so that I was pleased with.

Unfortunately, I misjudged the distance and was crawling up the last hill...I looked for the last downhill and dug deep. I was happy to see that I came into the finish line doing 24 mph--I had nothing left and that's how it should be. I had taken 2 minutes of my last time on this course; happy with that.

As usual I learned a lot of what not to do and I was able to stay in the aero bars the whole time except uphills, so I'll take that as a small success.
~rl

No comments: