Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Velodrome riding

Yes, Velodrome...I attended a women's clinic at the Encino Velodrome last Saturday. It was scary to think of getting up onto that concrete ramp on a bike with no brakes, no gears...and I'm scared of heights.

I waited after the orientation and let Deanne go first, we would share a very small bike that fit her. Luckily KK was there and he gave both of us a "private lesson". Without him I would have never made it up that ramp:)

Deanne rocked the house getting all the way up to the rail with KK...she did experience a few moments when she stopped pedaling for a second--only to remember the briefing "don't stop pedaling or you'll cartwheel over the top". Not what you want to do at those speeds and with all that concrete.

I took quite a long time on the warm up track. KK was so patient explaining the track to me and what to do...finally he convinced me to get onto the track and off we went. I was like Nemo ..."just keep pedaling" the whole time this was in my brain.... Girls were flying by us like we were standing still...they yell "stay" as they approach, you better just stay or else it will be ugly.

Fun thing was that each track has rules and everyone has to ride a certain way. Unlike group rides when you have no idea what the riders are going to do. The velodrome is very predictable and it's a really great way to improve your pedal stroke.

I would definitely do this again, perhaps find a time when KK can do another lesson and when the track is fairly empty. I don't think I would race this type of thing...but never say never.
RL
Here are the pics Deanne took...

http://breakawaycycling.shutterfly.com/

No comments: