Sunday, January 25, 2009

Agoura Cycles Going out of Business

Yes after many years of serving the community Agoura Cycles and Boulevard Cycles are closing the doors. It's a sad day, for me, for Joel (owner), for the dozen employees who will lose their jobs and for the clients who rely on the shop for gear, advice, repairs and more.

As you can imagine, we all are emotional and shocked. I'm disappointed, angry and sad about the whole thing. I am not in denial, mistakes have been made, but as an entrepreneur also, it saddens me to see this. America is built on the entrepreneurial spirit, people like Joel who risk everything in h0pes of giving something back to the community. Sure everyone wants to make a few bucks that's in our blood too, but rarely is that the main focus.

So, yes there's a big sale and you can get great deals and you're in shock too. Part of me feels for you and the loss, part of me thinks in all honesty (in my mind) "where have you been, I've been here two years and never seen you." Part of me knows that this will hit everyone hardest in a month, when we are gone, and you have a flat, or need a little valve stem or some obscure part that only Joel would have in a drawer that only he can find.

The other part of me sees all of our regulars, the die-hards who show up in the rain to ride, who've been so helpful to me as I learned to cycle, those who ate pink cake and celebrated with us, cried with us, those who have worked and are working all day at the sale w/o pay helping us physically and emotionally, bringing us lunch, coffee and hugs:)I will miss these friends and doing shop things with them, although we will always be friends in a different location maybe- they are amazing.

All in all, everything happens for a reason and this too shall pass.

We all will look forward to what a new beginning will bring
~~~RaeLynn

No comments: