Monday, May 11, 2009

Cruisin' the Conejo

62 Challenge metric 5700 ft of climbing...my kind of ride. Met up with everyone at the Bicycle John's tent for coffee and delicious homemade baked goods--thanks Jen an John! We partnered up, grabbed route slips and off we went.

Kelly, Robb, Corrin and I set of together but were quickly separated--mostly wanting to make space from the somewhat inexperienced riders. It was chilly and foggy at the start, but by the first rest stop we were together and taking layers off.

Robb and Corrin took off while I help Vicki with her bike position then Kelly and I set off. Kanan was a mess of crazy cyclists going way to fast, so we quickly made a left and detoured slightly from the route--why they don't go this way I don't know. Met back up with everyone at the next water stop.

Rock Store was the first climb of the day, then Mulholland to Encinal, Lechusa, Three bitches (where I kicked ass) then Portero, Lynn, Dos Vientos back to Newbury Park after numerous freeway crossings.

Kelly and I were done after 5 hours on the bike and multiple stops to fix chains, massage cramps, fix helmets, etc, etc. People are really unprepared for these events! A nice lunch by Whole Foods and of course the very helpful Boy Scouts.

Then it was time to get home to Barkley (a Goldendoodle puppy we were dogsitting)..I figured after 5 hours away Barkley would be done with the house remodeling:)

She was actually very good. Good day, nice company and Kelly and I decided that a women's trip to wine country was next on the agenda for this summer---of course on our bikes; what else?
RL

No comments: