Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Pet Peeves #1 People Trying to Kill Me

We all have pet peeves when we ride our bikes...such as I hate when snot rockets come from all directions, or people half wheeling, or riders that show up with no food or gel for the ride then bitch about bonking....
But today I reached a whole new level of agitation shall we say, so today's pet peeve is:

"I hate when people purposely try to kill me!"

Our first (yes first there is more to come) near death experience happened on Rock Store. A group of 4 of us headed up on this gorgeous day. We were riding for intensity, so not fast and we were single file. A very RUDE man in a silver BMW convertible license # MLKH8N nearly took each of us out...he was driving purposely slowly and getting as close as possible--to the point where I thought his car would touch my leg! So unbelieveable. He had plenty of visibility and room to move over and not do this. One good thing about this was there was a cop at the top of Rock Store ( I know, what luck), so he took the description and went on after the guy...hope he found him.

We continued onto Latigo and back with a stop at the vineyard for water...yes really just water and then headed back via Mulholland to Westlake/Decker.

This is when RUDE turned to RAGE from our next attacker. As I descended Decker a small, silver, SUV, 4 door vehicle approached slowly but aimed right at me in my lane (I was going down, SHE (yes SHE) was going up. I looked right at her (dirtly blonde hair, big glasses) and noticed there was a flag (green, red and white stripe or shirt? hanging from the back window behind the driver). I slowed and got tighter into the wall thinking she was going to purposely hit me...she was less than two feet from me when I saw a gun (for a moment of shock I wasn't sure what was coming) then realized--- I was shot directly in the face by a Super Soaker. I was blinded and in shock at this, as I made my way to the side to stop.

The vehicle went on up the hill and I was unable to see for that moment to get the plate # and couldn't ride up fast enough to catch up, but I did call it in. Sure, I've had moments of rage from cars before, but never such a blatant attack that felt like this person was trying to kill me. One has to realize that it could have ended that way had I lost control of the bike because I couldn't see.

I'm happy I had glasses on and that what came from the super soaker was only water. I was definitely afraid of what it was since at that close range it stung pretty bad.

What should have been a great day was ruined by humans being mean to other humans. I hate to think of it, we all have to coexist in this world...hell even lions and their prey respectfully share the few small watering holes during the daylight! If we can't have respect for one another what's left?
RaeLynn

2 comments:

Jon Spangler said...

RaeLynn,

I'd say you have a pretty well justified "pet peeve #1" here. Sorry to read about the %#!%&s that are giving you such grief, but their behavior is clearly threatening and illegal. I hope you catch them and toss 'em in jail or otherwise "educate them..."

Regards from Alameda, CA,

Jon

Gravityh said...

Do we need to start mounting cameras on our bikes to put these people away? I will keep my eyes open for these fools.