Sunday, May 3, 2009

Personal Bests


I've learned a lot about being and achieving your personal bests this week. Wednesday I attended a clinic by Josh Horowitz of Liquid Fitness. The clinic was hosted by the local club; CVC.

Josh explained the process of erasing negative images, thoughts and attitudes from our minds in order to become better athletes. It made such sense to me and many of his points were things I do everyday--well not any more.

Josh led our group through a meditation and visualization exercise using his CD; The Ultimate Cyclist. It was strange and Adam's gum chewing was distracting, but I managed to visualize my ride to Rock Store the next day; as I would like it to go....

Well amazingly I had the greatest night's sleep and that morning I said my affirmations, replaced negative thoughts with positive, especially when I learned a one-one ride was now a group ride of faster riders than me and went for it.

Not only did the group not drop me, I achieved a personal best on Rock Store.

This has definitely opened my eyes to the brain as a tool that can be trained just like my legs and my lungs. I purchased the CD and will continue to monitor/report on my progress.


Negative thoughts I used to have:

My knees will get hurt

I'm not fast enough

I'm going to get dropped

I'm not a racer

I'm not fit enough

My legs aren't strong

I'm not a racer

I'm not fast enough

I'm going to get dropped

see the theme here......?


This is the last time I'll ever write, speak, or think these things. I'm throwing out that broken record.

BTW...last night the CD arrived, I played it as I went to bed...I have no idea what it said (this is how it works...but I stayed awake long enough to visualize my Time Trial ride today and hey guess what - - Personal Best AGAIN::))

RL

You try it, let me know your results!

One last note to the ladies...WE CAN RACE AND HAVE FUN...here's a pic of Sheri and I today ---it was her 1st race:)

No comments: