Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 2 Cady Hill

Today we set off for some hills and it didn't take long...within the first 6 miles we climbed 1500 ft and it seemed like this hill would never end. My legs were like leaded fire balls from yesterday's ride and hitting this hill cold was brutal.

I muddled through while Ron proclaimed "this is the crest" at yet another hilltop...it was never the crest; just a bump before another bump.

Finally we hit the top and it was an exilarating 32 mph downhill...until a deer jumped out behind Ron (he never saw it); and I decided it was time to slow down. The deer here are like mosquitoes in Maine--they are everywhere!

We were completely alone--no traffic--which is the most amazing feeling to ride without the stress of traffic. The scenery was breathtaking, the smells so fresh and everything was so quiet. We just pedaled and took it all in. We were definitely in the zone.

As we made our way back into Ruch ( I got a long 20mph draft off Ron) we could see hundred of paragliders overhead. The competion was on. I quickly spotted Robb's yellow and orange glider--he was way high and I knew he must be stoked to be flying so well. To the left was a pilot low and Ron and I watched as I explained that this person should land or get out of that spot; quickly this pilot was overhead yelling "hey Ron"; it was Faiz landing out.

Ron sprinted back for the Eco-beast vehicle, we loaded the bikes and took Faiz back to re-launch.

Our bikes were on the back and I've never seen my road bike so dirty. It's going to be a long night of cleaning it.

Lunch came really late. Ron and I were about the chew thru our own arms, but a 22 oz Arrogant Bastard took the edge off.

Ready to do it again tomorrow:)
RL

No comments: