Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ride on the Dark Side

















After a day of rest my riding buddy and I decided to take on a new challenge--a mountain bike ride. Well, it's nothing new for him, so of course I felt it would be fine for me--haha

We rented Giant Trance 2s and set off for Glenny's campground in the biobeast (base camp for the day). It wasn't quite as hot today and we were fired up...at least I was until I started.

The first 1/8 of a mile was on the ledge, all shale and all up hill. Geez I was scared to death to wind up over the edge and into the lake. It got a bit better but it was definitely not a beginner trail. The entire way on on the edge of this 30-50 foot drop to the water. It was narrow enough for just a tire and at times it was difficult to walk forget ride the trail. Perhaps this was the reason we didn't see any others on the trail?
The scenery was glorious and midway we hit fire road and I had a chance to relax a bit. My buddy is directionally challenged so like our other rides we got lost. Our first challenge was a STEEP hill in which you had to climb one hand on the cable to get up; the other arm carrying your 30+ pound bike...not going to work.

So we doubled back, refound the proper trail and spent another several hours on the edge. Funny thing was we've seen so many deer road biking and out here in the mountains not a single form of wildlife.

Long day with four and half hours of grueling work for twenty miles. What an experience. The end reward was worth it...we got back to the ECO beast, changed into our suits and jumped in the lake. Aaaaahhhh it felt so good.

Met back up with Faiz, Robb and Riss at headquarters. Robb had a great day of flying; very technical as well. Riss made goal on right turn day--not bad for a guy recovering from a broken wrist.

My only hope is that I don't wake up covered in poison oak--it was everywhere on the trail!
I don't think I'll become a big mountain bike chick:)

RL

No comments: