Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rock Store Challenge













The weather today was a perfect 66 degrees, sunny and no wind. I decided today was the day to do Rock Store again--a challenging 2 mile climb on my bicycle. I've done it once before with Joel, but today I was going alone--not that I didn't try to convince my buds to call in sick, but no takers:(

So I set off from Westlake and began the mental challenge of convincing my inner self I could do this, while my outer self told me it looked cloudy and a bit windy in the mountains. My legs felt good, so I continued onward to Cornell Rd. I skipped the extra lap around Malibu lake, saving myself for the climb. A quick stop at the Rock Store building to "GU" up, drink and take off my jacket--oh yeah and call Robb to let him know I was starting the climb.


It's a beautiful climb and today there was just me and nature--no cars--no motorcycles! Awesome. I climbed okay; slow and steadily, but I was definitely breathing heavy. I stayed out of my max heart rate zone and managed to save myself to make it to the top. The last 1/8th of the hill is brutal. Luckily I was inspired by the yellow jersey #7 LANCE sign painted on the road.

At the top I took in the view--note the photos. My phone rang and it was Joel and Robb calling from the shop--boy were they shocked I was at the top--25 minutes up yahoo::)) The descent is an e-ticket down the winding Decker(23). I managed to not burn up my brakes and actually found myself enjoying the first part. The lower end however, is soooooo steep, but without cars I had the road and enjoyed the glide. I rocketed back to The Landing; my legs felt so strong after the climb-weird.

All in all just a FABU day on my bike.
RL
ps..and just when I'm feeling so strong the Chu calls and says she wants to do a Triathlon--ANIMAL:)

















1 comment:

OutdoorChick said...

GOOO RL! =P I'm so proud of you!