Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Back in the Saddle

The sun was up yesterday and the road was calling, so I decided it was time to get back on the bike. I expected it to be a slow, not too far ride since I've gained weight and my muscles would be hurting. Turns out I was wrong...it was an awesome ride.

It was warm (just the way I like it) when I got to Chesbro to start. I wasn't quite sure where to go, so I just started of with an easy warm up, a few small hills. I felt surprisingly good. Many cyclists were out and that led me to follow the pack--from way back of course.

I ended up in Malibu, of course, is there a more gorgeous place?, and around the lake then--oh what the hell --Rock Store next. It was stunning and quiet, this was just the mental health moment I needed. It was also Africa hot and I realized it's time to put the knickers away for summer. 23 minutes up--two fastest than last time--but I did get a few pushes on the way up.


Cycling is the one sport where a stranger can put a hand on your butt, give you a little push, and you don't mind...as long as you're on a killer hill like the Rock:) Amazing how much it helps; although I think they help as they pass by more to feel powerful themselves or because they feel bad that I'm moving so slow. It doesn't bother me and I've learned a lot from riders who are willing to share to help me improve. At any rate we all end up at the top and it feels GREAT!

Next, I was brave and made a left at Decker to an unbelievable smooth, curvy mountain road. Heaven on earth and a view all the way to the ocean. At the end was a sign for Little Sycamore--took it right and again, amazing vistas and nobody else in site; not even cyclists. The quiet was so good. Epic spot.

At this point I really didn't know where this might lead, so I turned around to head back. The descent was fun and the ocean breeze was so welcome as the day boiled. Of course, that fabulous mountain road has a name --3 bitches and oh how--3 small, leg melting hills on the way back up. Burn baby burn.

Out of water, so back I went down the e-ticket descent of Decker at 29.9 mph, the curves were awesome and no cars--the road was mine. I was able to follow another cyclist's line down, so another great learning experience.

Ride back to car was really hot and I had to stop for water. Cannot deal with dehydration. Over all a 40 miler with 3800 ft of climbing.

Not bad for a lard-ass.

RL

No comments: