Thursday, May 29, 2008

Just Keep Climbing

Another set of hills conquered! A-man posted a relaxing, long ride for the Memorial Day holiday, so I signed on. The route Mulholland/Piuma/Stunt/7 Minute Hill back via Calabasas. 50 miles, 5000 ft. approximately.

It was a good group, although Robb went to the mountains with his mistress (Rhonda the weather station) instead of riding. BH came along too, he was tired from a 70 miler the day before which made it perfect for him to slow down and ride along with me. The Chu joined us for the climbs, but then buggered off for a hot date:)

The weather was perfectly cool with a light wind and sunshine. A-man promised great views from the top and he didn't disappoint--well maybe, when he said 3K to go to the top of the first climb and I thought we were at the top!

It was slow going, but the grade wasn't the issue; these climbs were long--7 miles, then 6 miles, then 2 miles, one after another. My quads were on fire. Near the top of Piuma a young man was playing a guitar and singing all by himself; he was really good too--BH got his CD. Probably be the next Jack Johnson.

The descent down Stunt was pretty wild with one curve after another. Even with brakes I felt like I was flying and it was cold. By this point I was getting pretty hungry, but we continued to 7 minute hill, which really didn't feel like much of a hill after Piuma and Stunt. Ended up in Calabasas, but only got to potty, nobody wanted to stop for food--ugghggh I was chewing through my muscles at this point and had eaten all my banana, gu, BH's shot blocks, and both electrolyte drinks.

Luckily BH was pretty hungry too and he stayed back to encourage me home. Thank goodness because I was melting. Got back to the start where A-man was waiting with that look on his face that says "I'm going to ride another 100 or so miles."

I could hardly walk when I got off the bike and my ass was really sore--massage please:)

BH and I headed for Jack's Deli to amaze the onlookers by woofing down huge plates of food.

Then a food coma....hurried home for a shower and a nap. Pics to come--The Chu has them and you know how that goes with her and pics:)
RL

No comments: