Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 3 Nephi to Richfield




I am almost at a loss for words about today's ride. Rebecca Rusch (3 time Leadville winner and known as The Queen of Pain) took it upon herself to help me out today; a flat 75 mile ride from Nephi to Richfield. Flat as in approx. 1500 ft of gain and of course there was a headwind. I worked hard the first 20 miles to stay in the peloton..which hit the road rolling at 27mph, it took many pushes by the Queen of Pain to keep me in there. Her incredibly handsome and patient boyfriend allowed me his wheel, so technically I had to was not blow up...easier said than done with the rubber band effect of the peloton and my trust issues. I also know that we have 4 more days of riding but the fear of being out there alone kept me pedaling for dear life. Let's me clear, Specialized has great support and I would not have been left alone, but let's face it we all think that!

Mark Howe, with Western Spirit, who is strong and can cook pushed Rebecca while she pushed me..it was my first threesome. (hahahaha)

I admit that being in the group was as exhilarating as it was scary. But rolling alone watching the miles disappear gave me great pleasure so I worked harder and harder, paced myself and took all the advice and guidance I could from Rebecca.

At mile 42 the peloton split and we were a separate group of 5. The last 35 miles zipped by and we entered into Richfield passing beautiful red rock mountains.

We are staying at a Holiday Express and my roomie Patty swears we will have Super Powers tomorrow...I so hope she is right---she's been a great helper on this trip and she kicks butt...she rode in the front group all day! WOW.

Tomorrow is a 78 mile ride from richfield to Panguitch. There 2200 ft of gain, so not too bad. Wondering which poor Specialized athlete will be assigned the back with me...

Having a great time, people and food is awesome. 6000 calories burned already!
Here are a few pics...the photographer got some great shots of The Queen of Pain and I "sprinting" it out at the front of the peloton...those will come; but above are a few.

Big shout out of thanks to Western Spirit who feeds us well, Action Wipes you are in my pockets and I am so grateful at those road side breaks (yes, I mean roadside literally), SKINS who gave us all compression wear today, Hammer products that are fueling us on the ride, Veloshine for their goodies (although I don't have to clean my bike here:), Bicycle John's for packing my bike, Jill Gass for coaching and of course to Road Bike Action for giving me this opportunity and Specialized for inviting me. Luv goes out to my hubby for letting me come on yet another adventure!

And for all of you who comment, text me or email I thank you--the encouragement helps.
SUPER POWERS for all!

No comments: