Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's about the company you keep-- Panquitch to Cedar City



I think the work EPIC was ruined by Versus TV...now almost any ride has epic in the description and I like the word, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it seems not enough. Today was one of those days--for a lack of a better word: EPIC.

We woke to wet road and dark clouds, but another spectacular breakfast of pancakes, bacon and hot coffee got us rolling out of bed to set the course for the day. We delayed the start to 9:00 to let the road dry a bit, a good choice as they did and the storm seems to be blowing by.

Our route today would have a monsterously long climb; although not steep but starting at 6700 ft, climbing over Brian's Head Peak at 10,630ft and dropping into Cedar City, Utah. 58 miles but with that long climb at altitude then a seriously technical 20+ mile descent.

I had the great pleasure of getting on the magic bus with Sal Ruibal, lifetime journalist with USA Today. One thing I can tell you about Sal is that he is humble, good natured, has no ego, doesn't whine, make excuses or have anything to prove to anyone....he is simply enjoy the journey of life. Having him as my self proclaimed "domestique" for the day was quite an honor.

We started our journey ahead of the hammerfest and enjoyed feeling the pump of blood as we turned the pedals up to the summit (which for us was a 12 mile 2000 ft climb). The scenery was beautiful, we had a light rain and shared great conversation in between whispered breaths of the thin high air.

A few of the breakaway guys passed us just a half mile from the summit, so we cheered and waved them on. As we crested the summit the clouds turned black, the rain started to fall, at time even hail pelted our faces. The temperature dropped like a brick and there wasn't going to be time to stop for photos, we had to get down this descent in a hurry and hopefully safely.

I lost Sal on the descent my fingers numb from the cold when I spotted the western spirits van and stole another pair of gloves from Mark. Understand that I was wearing base layer, two vests, jersey, arm warmers and long sleeve jacket, two socks, shoe covers...I had prepared for the cold....so I thought.

I was alone now and hoping for a break in the rain. It was hard to see and the road was slick. Seeing signs for Avalanche area didn't help my confidence, but my hands had warmed up and I saw the sign for Cedar City it seemed doable. Again that might have proved wrong....unfortunately this is point where things went really wrong. Some ____hole with a water truck drove by me on the very narrow road completely unaware that water was pouring from the back of his truck and I got soaked through all my clothes...this was the death call for the cold 40 degree descent ahead.

I continued on seeing the warning signs for trucks to slow, steep pitches, narrow roads, brake pull outs. The road down from Brian Head is a two lane road--people drive fast and there is virtually no shoulder that is ridable...add to that the gusting winds and lack of guardrails in this (what I'm sure is a gorgeous canyon that I missed seeing) this descent was horrifying at times.

My body started shaking from the cold and I was really getting worried about being able to control the bike. I pulled over once then continued on...probably a mistake because now I was shaking uncontrollably and there wasn't anywhere to turn out so without being able to use my hands, my legs so knumb I feared I wouldn't be able to unclip. I tried a few times and couldn't get my legs out, so I just sort of was flying down this mountain feeling very out of control. The bike proved worthy and stayed upright, but my body was shaking like an earthquake. Finally I saw a turnout and decided gravel or not I must stop--the next turn was a hard left on a camber? and I would not make it. I managed to unclip and come to a somewhat sliding stop, barely able to place my bike on the sidewall. I stood there shaking uncontrollably in the rain, tried to hitch a ride but apparently I look like an ax murderer or people in utah just have a rule of not helping those who are clearly in visible distress. Time went on and I could not get warm, I knew the cars were behind me but surely getting all the riders swept up and motoring in these conditions had to be equally stressful for our Specialized drivers and support crew--who are amazing in all they do.

Finally Ben Capron (from National Interscholastic Cycing Association) came careening down the mountain and yelled you ok? All I could manage to say was "no"....the sound of his brakes as he attempted to stop on the wet roads made me fearful for him, but grateful. Literally he scooped me in, put his jacket and hat on me and sat me in his lap against the side of the embankment and warmed me up while I shivered uncontrollably. 2 more riders pulled in and we waited without cell service hoping for a vehicle...and alas in rolled Ryan and Troy to rescue me. Ben piled me into the car quickly, my bike loaded, my wet clothes stripped off and wrapped in the guys sweatshirts, heat cranked and food being put in.

Ben and the 2 others rode the final 5 miles down and I was happy for them to see the road conditions got better, but I'm sure they were freezing as we rolled into the Best Western where I was promptly put in the pool first then the hot tub ----where I finally stopped shivering. I was happy to see that Sal has also made it in and was in good shape.

All in all there wasn't anyone in this day that didn't speak of how cold it was. My roomie, Patty did the entire climb with Chris D'Alusio...WOW that woman is strong!

So my ROAD ID winner of the day is BEN CAPRON for saving me:) I will be forever grateful.

Thank you Patty for the image taken of me and Sal yesterday and the pic of Ben at Bryce Canyon to use on this blog.

No comments: